After Action Review – Training Week 3
Following on from last week, when I presented my first After Action Review (AAR) of my progress toward my goal of running in and completing the EDF Birmingham Half Marathon, here is my review of week of the training programme. As a quick reminder I have repeated the overview of the AAR.
After Action Review
The AAR is a structured review process that allows you to look at the progress against a goal to date. The process helps to uncover important lessons learned, identify strengths that can be replicated and weaknesses that need to be addressed in the journey of the attainment of the goal. The structure is as follows:
- What specific goal am I committed to achieve?
- What are my current results in relation to that goal?
- What went right and why? Identify strengths and strategies to build on them.
- What went wrong and why? Identify weaknesses and strategies to address them.
- What corrective actions will I implement now to remain on target?
- What are my commitments / goals for the upcoming week/months so that I can consider my efforts a success?
Training Week 3 – After Action Review
1. What specific goal am I committed to achieve?
On October 24th 2010 I will complete the EDF Birmingham Half Marathon in a time of 1:59:00 or better
Complete week 3 of my downloaded training programme
2. What are my current results in relation to that goal?
Week 1 & 2 training schedule completed. AAR completed for week 2. Below is the table of planned versus actual activity for week 3.
|Day||Planned Activity||Actual Activity||Status|
|Mon||Rest day||Rest day||Green|
|Tue||4 mile run||4.42 mile run||Green|
|Wed||Cross Training||38 min/8.2 miles Cycling||Green|
|Thu||4 miles at race pace, target 09:05 min/mile||4.77 miles, avg 08:39 min/mile||Green|
|Fri||Rest day||gym – upper body workout||Green|
|Sat||6 mile run||6.69 mile run||Green|
|Sun||3 mile EZ run||3.21 mile run & gym||Green|
3. What went right and why? Identify strengths and strategies to build on them?
All activities were completed as per schedule. On most I exceeded the training requirement by a margin, mainly due to GPS tracking approximations, and I have seen some improvement in pace. Doing some preparation for my cycling and EZ run was beneficial.
I have the training plan in my diary.
4. What went wrong and why? Identify weaknesses and strategies to address them?
I experienced some soreness around the back of my ankle, on my Thursday run. Luckily, it did not result in any blistering.
Otherwise, I am very happy with meeting all the tasks for this week.
What corrective actions will I implement now to remain on target?
I’ve researched the soreness issue and the suggestion is to wear two pairs of socks. I will try that out over the next week on my runs.
What are my commitments / goals for the upcoming week so that I can consider my efforts a success?
This week – Complete week 4 of the training programme, as scheduled.
That is my After Action Review for week 3 of the Half Marathon training programme.